Tuesday, 18 October 2011

On top of the world - in Mexico

I just got back on Sunday from a wonderful week at our Mexico home in Loreto Bay in the Baja. Many of the items on my list are Mexico based as I will be spending the winter months - or some of them - down there. This was such a short visit that I only had time to complete one of my tasks which was to climb the Nopolo Rock. This is a large rock promontory that dominates the skyline at the south end of the beach and is reached from the golf course.












The view from the top is spectacular and while the climb is more of a scramble than anything more technical, the challenge is the loose shale and the sheer drop that the route gets close to - and we all know how I love sheer drops! My friends Penny and Bill Davies agreed to do this with me and we met on the beach at 8.30am clutching cameras and water bottles. The climb went well but the temperature was over 30 degrees by the time we were halfway up but we soldiered on and were rewarded by these views of the golf course and the development.

















As always, the climb down was harder than the climb up. I have often wondered why this is so and I have decided that it is probably because you have to look down and see just how far you have to fall, but we made it without mishap having sweated off at least 3 margaritas and several quesadillas worth of calories which we replaced at lunchtime. Another check mark but still lots more to go.








No comments:

Post a Comment