Thursday, 9 February 2012

A patio artist!

This list item may seem strange to some people but for me it has been a truly fun experience and certainly one I have never done before. In our mexican casa there is a glass door off the kitchen to a tiny walled courtyard that is scarcely big enough to turn around in. When we moved in it was gravelled with a few rough paving stones so I decided to make it beautiful. The first thing I did was hang a hummingbird feeder so I could watch las colibris feeding while I have breakfast.
The next step was to plant a tree and two bougainvilleas for shade and colour. This year I began the search for my "Patio artist" and I found him working in a local store that was having a reno done. His name was Frederico and he spoke no english but I managed to explain what I wanted and he helped me design this patio. The attention to detail is exceptional and it took him a week to finish.
I am thrilled with the result and he was glad of the work - a true "win-win" situation. Even the hummingbirds are pleased and I think the bougainvillea has grown taller with pride! Next job - how to furnish it! All suggestions welcome.
As a footnote to this blog, I have found that my ability to speak and understand spanish has improved greatly this year. It is not that I have taken classes or improved my grasp of the grammar but I have become more confident and discovered how much the experience of living in Mexico is enhanced by communication with the wonderful local people. So few people make the effort and they are missing so much. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment