
When I wrote this item "Touch a grey whale" I knew that I was setting a goal that was not totally within my control and indeed an expedition to Lopes Mateos in January was unsuccessful as the mothers kept their new babies far away.

The second visit in early March was totally different as these photos will prove. I drove with Merv, my sister Stella and her husband Mike to the same little town on Magdalena Bay and we set out in the boat. The baby whales, now a month old, were delightfully curious and the mothers were more relaxed and just stayed nearby and watched.

We were thrilled to see so many whales so close and at times we were surrounded by more whales than we could count and there was no doubt that we were the ones being watched.

Mike was convinced that one baby whale was particularly interested in him because she kept coming back to be stroked and scratched.

The texture of a whale is totally unfishlike, feeling more like a smooth elephant, and they are as hard as a rock, but they constantly presented their heads and mouths to be rubbed and stroked. Even the mothers came close to the boats and often swam underneath us and surfaced alongside - a truly breathtaking moment.

There were several other boats in the area all full of people having the same amazing experience. A nearby boat full of excited Mexicans was almost tipped over as they rushed to the side to be close to the whales!

I have described the sight, the feel and the enjoyment but words fail me when I try to describe the emotional impact of touching these massive, intelligent creatures and the immense feeling of privilege and gift that their interest in us brings. Some of these whales are old enough to remember the bad old days of whaling in this very Bay when they came close to extinction. Perhaps we should all learn the gift of forgiveness from these gentle giants.
No comments:
Post a Comment