Sunday, 21 August 2011

Big Hill Springs Provincial Park

















Today was the warmest day of summer so far and I decided it was the perfect opportunity to complete another task and keep working on my Geocaching. I bundled Blu into the car along with Stephen and his trusty I-phone with the appropriate "app" and we headed off to Big Hill Springs Provincial Park on the north edge of Bearspaw. The park is set in a beautiful valley with a lively stream running through it over several small falls and rapids; perfect for a hot dog to cool off in and take a long drink!

The trail winds up and down through the trees and makes for an energetic hike on a hot day, especially when you are constantly diving off the trail and scrambling up steep slopes to find buried treasure. Blu kept up with us manfully (or should I say "dogfully?") and we found 3 caches bringing my total so far to 6. One picture shows Blu and I by the waterfall and the other shows Stephen proudly holding a Cache that took a particularly steep climb to find.

Big Hill Springs Park was somewhere that I took all three boys to when they were growing up and was the site of kindergarten and playschool outings, picnics and pumpkin hunts. Imagine my surprise when Stephen said that he had no memory of the Park or ever having been there in his life. How vain we can be as parents thinking that our children appreciate our efforts at entertaining them and are treasuring all those memories and revisiting them through the years with a reminiscent smile. That job falls to the parents and unless reinforced with the unpleasant trauma of an incident such as falling in the stream or being stung by a wasp the child's memory fades into the rosy mists of childhood; which after all, is just as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment