Yesterday I finished the book on my list that I had set myself to read during this year. I chose this famous Dickens novel because in spite of being an English major and in spite of having read most of the Dickens classics, I had never read this one. I thought I knew the book well, knew the story line and knew the ending, and I thought there would be no surprises. I was wrong. I was not expecting to be so riveted and appalled by the descriptions of the French revolution, the graphic descriptions of the massacres and the brilliant depth of the characterization of the evil Mme Lafarge and her supporters. Why is it that the villains and rogues in literature are so much more memorable and 3 dimensional than the heroes? What does that tell us about ourselves? Anyway, I enjoyed the book and am inspired to read more classics that have slipped by me - maybe I will even read War and Peace... or maybe I will just watch the movie!
This weekend I am taking Merv to Rosebud to experience the famous Rosebud Dinner Theatre and stay overnight in a B and B; something I have promised myself for years and I shall write all about it here. Stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment